I am not, by nature, an overly organized person. Couple that my overly sentimental/ save everything mentality with my shopping addiction and then pack it into a 700 square foot apartment and you see where I am going.
I hit my breaking point three years ago when my closets wouldn’t close. It was then I made it my mission to get organized. Before long I had shelves free, hanger space and a whole new outlook on space. How did I do it?
Throw It Out
- Do you love it?
- Do you need it?
- Do you use it?
You get my point.
Find It A Home
- Donate it.
- Re-purpose it. (Tip: clean t-shirts, towels etc. that are not in the condition to be donated are perfect for cleaning.)
- Give it away. If your sister, bestie, co-worker always loved those boots, why not give them to her. Make her smile.
Ready, Set, Organize
- Compartmentalize and stack. There are endless option from shelves (permanent or temporary,) baskets, totes, boxes, tension rods and racks.
- Non-slip hangers. Amazing. Available in a variety of colors.
- Use specialized hangers for ties and scarves. Lifesavers.
- Use garment bags for formal wear, full length, beaded/ sequined clothing and coats.
- Hang clothing facing in the same direction.
- Use vacuum seal bags for out of season clothes, spare comforters, towels, etc. You will be fascinated by the amount of space you discover.
- Store shoes in original boxes, plastic boxes, shelves, or on sturdy shoe racks. Just no piles!
- Most important, use a system that works for you. I can’t stress this enough. If it doesn’t make sense to you, seems overly complex or frustrating, you won’t follow through.
(Tip: Label boxes, garment bags, boxes, etc. to save time looking for your items later. You won’t regret the upfront effort.)